We are hoping to expand our family through adoption.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Monday, February 13, 2012

Civil Rights Field Trip

Natalee has been studying civil rights for the last few weeks. I am so amazed at what she has learned, things we didn't talk about until I was in high school. Her teacher has been reading Freedom on the Menu, by Carole Boston Weatherford, it is about the Greensboro Four and Jim-Crow laws. For those that don't remember these are the four college students who started the lunch counter sit-ins, which spurred lunch counter sit-ins all across the south. It was all non-violent. So in light of learning all about civil rights, non-violent protesting, love, dreams and the teachings of Martin Luther King. Today her class took a trip to NC A&T campus to visit the statue of the Greensboro Four, Ezell Blair Jr., Franklin McCain, Joseph McNeil and David Richmond. One of the students in Natalee's class is related to David Richmond who passed away a few years ago. From there we had a picnic lunch at the Cultural Center and went to visit the International Civil Rights Museum which is located in the old Woolworth's building where the lunch counter sit-ins started. Both Dave and I have been having very stimulating conversations with Natalee. I can't wait to see where this leads. Incidentally I purchased the Freedom on the Menu for us, and Natalee had to the whole book read to her before bed time.

Natalee's class in front of the Greensboro Four statue



The Greensboro Four, they were only 17 when they started the sit-ins.

No comments: