Since Monday was Martin Luther King Jr's birthday and black history month is coming up. Natalee's class has started studying all about Martin Luther King, Jr, Rosa Parks and civil rights she has been asking a lot of interesting questions. She thought Rosa Parks was Martin Luther King Jr's wife, so I had to explain again who Rosa Parks was. She was concerned that their children were without a parent - while Rosa Parks was in jail and Martin Luther King Jr was marching for civil rights. We ended up googling Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr's family, his wife and their wedding day. So for now I think we are OK. However this has been a wonderful education for me. Since Natalee is going to a predominately black school she is having a hard time understanding how life was 45 years ago. Which I think is a good thing. I know we still have a ways to go. But at least she can't wrap her brain about separate but equal.
They also are learning a cool song by
Trout Fishing in America called
Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks. The song is wonderful and has catchy tune. I love the refrain, I find it very inspirational.
"If it's not easy to do, you've got to try a littler harder.
If it's tough to learn, you've got to get a little smarter'
Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks.
Tried to bring us all together with their big, big hearts."
No comments:
Post a Comment