Okay today I got to speak to one of the resident's - finally and actually had a good conversation and got him the entire time I needed him. Also mom's ID doc stopped by to share things with me. He is wonderful can't say enough about him or her Rheumatology doc. At anyrate - mom is still "sleeping" she has been sedative (Ativan ) free for over 48 hours but not much response. She was suppose to have an EEG yesterday but they never came. She had a CT of her head to check for bleeding - none was shown - which is good. She was on Xigris a heavy duty medication for sepsis. I found out only about 4-5 patients a year get that at CCF. So evidently she was really really sick. She has moved her legs but still not her arms. She is responsive to the eye dilation - showing brain stem awareness. So they don't expect the EEG to show anything bad. It's just that Ativan is a very powerful sedative and has a long half-life so it may take up to a week for her to wake up. Until then they can't take her off the ventilator because it's dangerous. She is taking plenty of breaths on her own - another good sign. Her ID doc says she is tough as nails this was one very very bad infection and fast too. It's still scary not having her wake up but in the meantime I will be patient and pray that all ends well.
Tonight my brother comes into town -- it will feel good to have him back here. I know my dad is really looking forward to him arriving.

No comments:
Post a Comment