We are hoping to expand our family through adoption.

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Friday, August 15, 2008

365 days of decluttering

okay I saw this on a friends blog and said I need to do that too!! Essentially I am challenging myself to get rid of one item a day from my house in hopes of making a more manageable household. I am hoping that having things waiting in my garage counts as for getting ride of one thing a day for this challenge. I am posting this badge to join the challenge of 365 days of de-cluttering


2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Mary, this is a repeat of my answer to your question on the 365 Days of Decluttering Challenge blog but I thought I’d share it here too. :-)

Great question! This challenge is FOR YOU and you are only accountable TO YOU.

If you choose to run your challenge as decluttering meaning that you’ve set aside an item, with the intention of getting it to a new home but haven’t, that is your choice.

It really depends on the type of declutterer that you are. For some of us, this is just procrastinated decluttering, which doesn't work well for our perfectionistic tendencies, and is not decluttering in its purest essence…Meaning that the item is out of your face & out of your space.

To keep perfectionism and all-or-nothing paralysis at bay, I would highly recommend that you stay true to the purest sense of decluttering and not count the item until it has been mailed away, picked up, etc. But, again, this is YOUR challenge. How do you want to count things? :-)

Congratulations on accepting your own 365 Days of Decluttering Challenge! Starting is almost always the hardest part of doing something. And, in my eyes, we only truly fail when we don’t start.

Remember, decluttering doesn’t have to be “a project” or something to set time aside for; it just has to be started. To me, decluttering is about A CHANGE OF PERSPECTIVE OR ATTITUDE more than a project that gets crossed off a “to do” list.

Have fun!

heather said...

oh, my... i think i'm going to put this on my back list... im not quite ready to head to the declutter place... ive just put child three through the 0-3 month clothes... im almost positive that there wont be more, but not quite there yet... lol... i do have a bit to do in the basement... but... ah well, one thing at a time!